Medwakhs are small smoking pipes commonly found and used in parts of the Middle East. Because of the pipe’s size and construction, they are known to clog quickly.
If you have been smoking your Medwakh pipe for more than 24 hours, you may notice that parts of the pipe will start to get sticky. It is important to clean your Medwakh pipe often and thoroughly to keep it in good condition and working well for years to come. Read on to learn a few tips on how you can keep your Arabian pipe squeaky clean.
Tools to clean your Medwakh pipe
- Pipe cleaner - Used to remove the buildup of tobacco resin inside the pipe.
- Q-tip - Also referred to as cotton buds in some areas, the Q tip removes the accumulation of resin inside the bowl. If not available, you can use paper towels as an alternative.
- Filter tips - In case your Medwakh filter needs to be replaced.
- Pipe cleaning solution - This liquid is specifically designed to clean the pipe’s interior (optional).
- Piece of cloth
- Olive oil (optional)
When should you clean your pipe
Resin builds up quickly due to the design, size and construction of the pipe. Your usage will help you determine how often you need to clean your pipe or replace its filter. For most users, cleaning the pipe can be done once or twice a week. Heavier dokha smokers should clean their pipes more often.
We recommend replacing the filter whenever you clean your Medwakh. This may seem excessive but keep in mind that resin can build up quickly inside the filter and they are impossible to remove. You don’t want any of that resin to get on your tongue or inside your lungs. To avoid inhaling or ingesting any of the resin, get the filter replaced frequently.
Cleaning your Medwakh pipe is a relatively simple process. The pipe itself is only made up of a few components. Here are the steps involved in cleaning your Medwakh.
How to clean your pipe
- Remove the pipe’s filter.
- Grab a paper towel. Use it to remove any resin that may have built up around the pipe’s mouth end.
- Insert the pipe cleaner starting from the pipe’s mouth end. Push it in until the pipe cleaner reaches the other end. You should be able to see part of the pipe cleaner from the bottom of the pipe’s bowl.
- Bend the bottom of the pipe cleaner so it becomes an L-shape. This will make it easier to grip the cleaner while it removes the grime inside the pipe.
- While gripping the bent area, rotate the pipe in a circular motion. The rough surface of the rotating pipe cleaning accessory will remove much of the resin inside the Medwakh.
- Make a few rotations and remove the pipe cleaner. Turn the pipe so the bowl faces down. Make a few taps from the bottom of the bowl to remove some of the dislodged resin.
- Insert another clean pipe cleaner back into the Medwakh. Now move the pipe cleaner in and out of the pipe. Do this several times as well.
- If you want to use a pipe cleaning solution, remember to insert a paper towel inside the Medwakh. This will prevent the cleaning liquid from spilling over and wetting the pipe (You don’t want that to happen as the liquid can damage the wooden pipe’s finish). Use the pipe cleaner to distribute the cleaning solution inside the pipe.
- Use a Q-Tip or the clean tip of a pipe cleaner to clean the bowl. Move it around the insides of the bowl to remove the resin.
- Blow through the pipe a few times to remove the remaining resin away. When you blow air into the pipe, make sure that your lips are a few inches away from the tip. You don’t want any of the dokha’s resin to get into your mouth or tongue. Repeat this step until you find no particles coming out of the bowl.
- Olive oil can be used to make your Medwakh shine. Simply pour a few drops of oil on a piece of cloth. The goal is to dampen the cloth but not soak it in the oil. Rub it carefully against the side of the pipe and bowl. Repeat the process until you see your wooden pipe shine.
- Replace the filter mouth tip with a new one.
There may be a few steps involved but the cleaning process is relatively quick and simple. You will get a hang of cleaning process once you have done it a few times. Spend a few minutes cleaning your Medwakh to enjoy a more unadulterated smoking experience. If you’re looking to further protect your Medwakh, a holding pouch will do the job.